Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Update on Dustin's Crash




Well, it has been just over two years since that horrible day. Dustin was on his way to Chico when he was involved in a horrific accident. We was at the stop light on Hwy. 99 just going into Chico when he was rear ended by a 18 wheeler going 60mph. The CHP said his truck rolled up to 5 times, then came to a stop upside down. The driver of the diesel said he failed to notice the traffic ahead that was at a stop. Anastacia, my sister, came to my home to pick me up, but didn't inform me of the accident. I was told to just get the kids and get in the car. She was talking to her husband, who is a sheriff, on her cell phone getting all of the info on the accident before she would tell me what had happened. I knew something was wrong when she was driving like a crazy woman downtown and onto the highway twards Chico. She said that Dustin has been in an accident. I asked if he was ok, and she said she didn't know yet. Her husband called again and she asked, " How many times did he roll?" That's when I decided it was ok to start flipping out. It took a half hour to go a half mile till we got to the site of the crash. I knew the traffic was so bad because of the crash, and that made it that much harder to just sit and wait. I decided I should call Dustin's mom Angie. I told her that Dustin was in an accident, but didn't know his condition. Right then we drove past his truck. I dropped the phone and started praying. I saw my husbands truck smashed and upside down. The officer on the road told us he went to Enloe. By the time we got to the hospital I was calming down, but when I saw him in the ER I lost it again. He blocked his face with his arm when he started rolling because of all of the glass. Six months later he was still getting glass out of his arm. He is STILL in alot of pain. His legs go numb at night and he can only write or type for ten min. at a time. But...he is still here with us. All of Dustin's grandpa's have passed on, and I told Dustin on Oct. 3rd, 2006 all of his grandpa's were in his truck with him all giving him the biggest hug protecting him. We have been blessed.


2 comments:

Em, Dev, Alex Belliston said...

Oh my goodness! Wut an awful accident. He definitley had some guardian angels watching out for him on that terrible day. I'm sure he'll never forget that day.

Big Mama said...

Man.... reading about it and remembering that scary awful day made me almost cry. I'll never forget how I was at mom's doing laundry and when we heard I called Raquel and just start bawling hysterically. We are all just so blessed to have him here with us still. And thank you to the grandpa's that were there with him protecting him. Good luck guys with everything. We'll be praying for ya'll. Love you!!