Sunday, August 9, 2009

Skin Graft

For all of those out there who get squeamish....this is good news for you. Our camera is broken, and I was not able to take pictures of Joel's surgery. I did do video, but I don't know how to add video to the blog.
He had surgery set for 1:00pm on Friday afternoon. He had to be fasting, and nothing to drink past 9am. So on the way to Shriner's I thought I should TRY to feed him. When we arrived they had told us that the two surgeries before Joel had gone quickly, and they could take him back to the OR at 11:30. They asked if he had had anything to eat or drink. "Ummmmm, you told me he could drink up until 9. I guess the rule is nothing in the tummy for 4 hours prior to surgery. So we had to wait. The little guy behind us was able to go ahead, and guess what.....his went over, so now we were pushed back even more. Dust was pretty upset, mainly because he was the one having to hold Joel.
Joel had a hard time coming out of the anesthesia, but is now doing well. They cut out the skin from his hand that was burnt, and replaced it with skin they took from his leg. I think the leg is causing him more pain than the hand. All I can say is, I thought the burn was hard to looked bad... his leg is 100x's worse!!!!
We go back to Shriner's on Friday to make sure the graft took, and from there they say it will take 2 months to heal. Maybe we will post a pic then....if I can get a hold of a camera.
Thank you everyone for all the prayers for Joel!!

1 comments:

Cindy King said...

We will continue to pray for all of you. This is such a struggle for little Joel, and when our kids struggle so do we! Hang in there!